Friday, October 02, 2015

The book thief - A novel by Markus Zusak


The Book Thief is, by far, one of the most heart breaking story I have ever read. Beautifully written and deeply provoking, I took a long time to finish the book. On one hand, I am a slow but steady reader. On the other hand, the story is such a heavily moving one. The kind that stirs a raw sense of humanity.

I started this story just weeks after a hard, awakening trip to Berlin, where I learned about the devastation of the Nazi regime and its prosecution of the Jews. So it seemed timely to start this book, as if to drive home the point that racism and war is never ever the answer.

I love the voice narration of Death in this book. Death looks at life and humans both lightly and deeply. The constant. The constant observer. The constant destination - in whichever way, form or manner. 

A highly recommended book. But a word of caution: I don't think the story is for everyone. Not many historically laced stories are. It is heavy. So heavy. And weighs heavily upon the soul. But if it is for you, it is a truly, truly increadible read.

No comments:

Post a Comment